June 16, 2014

Lynchburgh, Tennessee

This is a late post ...
but this past weekend I went to Tennessee with my second family. We went to the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee to start things off Friday afternoon. At first I didn't think I would have much fun at a distillery of whiskey. I don't think I've ever had whiskey honestly, not even Jack Daniels. I know it's the most popular of the whiskers-- pretty sure it's been in several country songs, but how interesting could really be.
As you pull up, it doesn't look like your typical factory, which is what I assumed it would be considering the mass production of Jack Daniels. The distillery was beautiful!
I'm not gonna tell you too much about Jack Daniels distillery because you need to take a trip up to Lynchburg, Tennessee for yourself. But I will tell you that it is sort of like an old southern plantation in a weird way. Its not big and gaudy like the southern plantations you see on TV, and it wasn't really a plantation ...I guess it was just old and southern beautiful!
The tour guide was this old man named Mike, he truly loves what he was doing, he made the entire Tour enjoyable. He knew exactly what he was talking about and made it interesting.
Our Group was different to say the least. We had about 12 people from Wisconsin who were going to a wedding in Alabama and decided to stop through on their way. There's also this amazing couple from the Netherlands. They told us that they had to get the son and T-shirt! that's all he wanted. Then there was two men from Japan. I'm sure they spoke English but their accents were incredibly thick . When Mike ask them where they're from they told him hapan it was funny.
The tour started with coal and how they were made wood  fired by nothing ...other than whiskey.... Then we went to the house, well technically an office I guess, for Jack Daniels himself kept money and potentially unknowingly killed himself... Of course not then and there, I mean if Jack Daniels committed suicide accidentally or on purpose it would be the most interesting facts about Jack Daniels. However Jack, being like most men a little violent toward inanimate objects, when angry kicked his safe and broken his big toe and didn't go to the doctor to get it fixed. An infection set up in his toe, causing him to lose his toe, foot, leg then life. Mike said that if he would have just dipped his foot and some of his own whiskey maybe the infection wouldn't have set up and maybe he wouldn't have died. But he did and luckily the company was left his nephew who continued to make a whiskey the way Jack intended it to be made. Who knows maybe I'll win jeopardy one day with this information.

After the distillery we went to the town of Lynchburg where of course everything is made with this key because it is a dry town so they can sell it but I can sure bake with it. It was such a cute town . Lynchburg Tennessee has a population 361 people. My graduating class was pushing 700.

It was an interesting tour that I truly enjoyed. So if you have time, go to Lynchburg and take the free distillery tour...  if your kidless, and 21, take the testing tour.

No comments: